English 1A Final Exam Study Guide
Part I and 2 To Kill a Mockingbird.
1. Who is the author of To Kill a Mockingbird?
2. Where is the novel set?
3. When does the story take place?
4. Describe each of the main characters?
5. Why does Aunt Alexandra come to live with the Finch family?
6. Why is Mr. Dolphus Raymond is considered scandalous in the white community?
7. What does Bob Ewell do after the trial?
8. What does Jem do to Mrs. Dubose?
9. What is the Cunninghams family known for?
10. In his cross examination of the Ewells, what does Atticus attempt to establish?
11. Describe Miss Stephanie Crawford’s personality and role in the novel.
12. After Boo Radley saves the children, what do Sheriff Tate and Atticus decide?
13. In the Halloween pageant, what is Scout;s role?
14. What does Scout do after she walks Boo Radley home?
15. The novel covers a time span of about _____ years.
16. How does Mr. Underwood describe Tom Robinson’s death?
17. In his speech to the jury, who does Atticus say that he feels pity for ?
18. How can you describe Heck Tate?
19. What does Atticus do that greatly increases Jem and Scout’s respect for him?
20. During the trial, how does Scout come to see Mayella Ewell?
21. How does Tom arouse the hostility of the jury during the trial?
22. When Tom tried to escape, how many times was he shot?
23. When is Helen Robinson threatened by Bob Ewell?
24. Why is it a sin to shoot a mockingbird?
25. Why does Dill have to leave the courthouse during the trial ?
26. When does Miss Stephanie Crawford’s house burn down.27. What job does Scout’s father have?
28. Who puts items in the tree? and who are they for?
29. What happens to Jem’s pants after their experience in the night time.
30. What happens to Boo following the pageant?
31. Describe Dill’s childhood and home life.
32. Describe Scout’s first day of first grade.
33. Does Atticus trust Calpurnia?
34. Does Mr. Avery tell the children that unusual seasons are caused by the wickedness of grownups?
35. What was the result of the trial? how long does the jury deliberate?
36. What games do the children play ?
37. Describe the snowman the children create.
38. Describe the differences between how Calpurnia acts in the Finch home compared to how she acts at church and with the black community.
39. How does Mayella get the house to herself?
40. What is the profession of the Cunningham family?
41. Who gives Helen Robinson a job after Tom is arrested?
42. Who is the neighbor that befriends the children and bakes them cakes.
43. How is the courtroom audience organized? where does everyone sit?
44. Is there anyone on the jury that the children know?
45. How did Calpurnia come to work for the Finch family?
46. What is the judge’s name?
47. How does the line “nothing to fear but fear itself” appear in the novel?
48. How do the children feel about Aunt Alexandra? why?
49. What are the reasons that Atticus may worry about Scout?
50. When do the children see Boo Radley? how many times?
Part 3. Literary Terms and Short Stories.
51. The force that opposes the protagonist is the:
52. What is the difference between direct and indirect characterization?
53. Who is the narrator?
54. What is setting?
55. What are the five elements of plot?
56. What are the characteristics of each element of plot?
57. What is Universal Theme? and how does it differ from them?
58. What is author’s tone?
59. What are the different types of conflict?
60. Define exposition, climax, resolution.
61. Be able to provide an example of different types of conflict (man v ???)
62. What is theme?
63. What is characterization? (direct and indirect)
64. What does protagonist/antogonist mean?
65. How do author’s create characters? what methods do they employ?