Sunday, May 19, 2013

Senior Scrapbook instructions


Senior Scrapbook
Requirements:

1.             2page spread for each grade level

This is your opportunity to memorialize your high school years. Be Cheezy! it’s ok for this. use pictures, words, journal, whatever to help you remember your path from the end of junior high to graduation.

2.             Writing Assignments:

·       Memoir
Choose one event that is memorable and important to you. Write about it in memoir style. First person narrative, descriptive, include emotions, use imagery. Be personal.

·       Expository/news reporting of an event
Choose one event that is memorable and important to you, but this time write about it in a news/expository style. Just the facts. Describe the event as an outside observer would. Use lots of details, but detach from it personally.

·       Letter to friend
Write a letter to a friend to say goodbye. It is not a permanent goodbye, but the goodbye that you will not see them every day anymore. Describe their impact on your life and what will be missing without their constant presence.

·      Letter to self in 10 years
Write a letter to yourself in which you describe where you hope to be, what you think is important in life, the steps you are taking to create a path to get where you want to go.

3.             Personal Statement

your personal statement from boot camp or avid or your college application. If you don’t have one, I will provide you with the prompt.

4.             Senior Resume

again, should be a reprint of something done. A resume to show you off in an academic and professional manner.

5.             Poetry


Chooses 3 of 6 types of poems
·       I am
1st stanza

I AM (two special characteristics you have)
I WONDER (something you are actually curious about)
I HEAR (an imaginary sound)
I SEE (an imaginary sight)
I WANT (an actual desire)
I AM (the first line of the poem repeated)

2nd stanza

I PRETEND (something you actually pretend to do)
I FEEL (a feeling about something imaginary)
I TOUCH (an imaginary touch)
I CRY (something that makes you very sad)
I AM (the very first line of the poem
repeated)

3rd stanza

I UNDERSTAND (something you know to be true)
I SAY (something you believe in)
I DREAM (something you actually dream about)
I TRY (something you really make an effort about)
I HOPE (something you actually hope for)
I AM (the very first line of the poem repeated)

·       Diamond
The Diamond Poem

Line 1  Subject (One word)
Line 2  Two adjectives describing the subject
Line 3  Three verbs describing actions of the subject
Line 4  Four nouns associated with the subject
Line 5  Three verbs showing a change occurring in the subject
Line 6  Two adjectives describing the altered subject
Line 7  A word which is the opposite of the word on line 1

Example:
Summer --
golden, fragrant
budding, blooming, bursting
warmth, flowers, youth, brightness
fading, chilling, shrinking
pale, dead
Winter


·       Emotion
Write a five-sense poem on the lines below. You don't have to write about anger. Choose another emotion, like love, happiness or fear. Then follow this formula:

Line 1: Tell what color the emotion is.
Line 2: Tell what the emotion sounds like.
Line 3: Tell what it tastes like.
Line 4: Tell what it smells like.
Line 5: Tell what the emotion looks like.
Line 6: Tell how it makes you feel.

Example:

Anger is as black as midnight.
It sounds like spattering grease.
It tastes like sand in a sandwich
And smells like a wet dog.
Anger looks like a volcano blowing itself
    apart.
It makes you feel powerful.

·       Cinquain
First line -  One word giving the title
Second line - Two words describing the title
Third line - Three words expressing action
Fourth line - Four words expressing feeling
Fifth line - Another word for the title


Examples:

Worms
long slimy
slithering, twisting, turning
a handful of sliminess
wriggly

Ghosts
pale, weird
haunting, striking fear
eerie, strange, uncanny, awesome
supernatural

Oceanography
sea study
swimming, searching, learning
testing with different chemicals
ever-searching

Feline
skinny scrawny
hissing, spitting, clawing
fighting for a mate
cat!

·       Why poem
Directions for Writing a Why Poem:

Line 1:  Write down who this poem is about. (You can use either an actual name or
a phrase like "the base runner" to identify the person.)
Line 2:  Describe some specific action done by this person.
Line 3:  Write down where it is the person does this action.
Line 4:  Write down when it is this person does the action.
Line 5:  Write down why this person does the action, or why you think they do it.

Example:

My sister
combs and combs her long, brown hair
in front of the mirror in our bedroom
every night.
She wants to show me how beautiful she is.

·       Personal Poem
TELL me your name.
WHAT is your real name? (Not necessarily the name you go by, but the name you wish was yours, or a name that you feel is true for you.)
NAME the animal inside you.
THERE is an object inside your heart. What is it?
THERE is a word written on your forehead. What is it?
TELL me a sound (or smell) you love.
TELL me a sound (or smell) you hate.
WHAT is your favorite time of day? Why?
IF your hands could speak, what would they say?
TELL me a phrase or saying that your mother or father or grandparents say to you a lot. (This may be in another language besides English.)

Example:

This is an example of a Personal Poem that was developed from a history assignment of Christopher Columbus.

My name is Cristoforo Columbus.
My real name is Cris, or my friends call me String Bean or Red because of my red hair.
The animal inside of me is a dolphin because I love the ocean.
The object in my heart is my row boat I call The Omen. It was the very first vessel I sailed.
The word written on my forehead is Adventure, because I love to discover new places and people.
The sound I love is the sound of waves on homeland shores.
The sound I hate is , "Hey, Cris, where the heck are we?"
The smell I love is Queen Isabella's favorite perfume from India.
The smell I hate is a crew that has not showered in six months.
My favorite time of day is sunset and seeing the sails of the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria silhouetted against the sky.
If my hands could speak they'd say, "Land, ho!"
I remember when I was five my mother asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I said I wanted to be a wool weaver like my father.
My father always would say, "Cristoforo, you'd lose your head if it weren't attached!"

No comments:

Post a Comment