Questions for Chapters 8-10
Answer questions as completely as possible.
1. What is the function of these chapters? What is their relationship to the rest of the text?
2. Chapter 8 opens with some reactions from people to the article about McCandless that Krakauer published in Outside Magazine. What do most people think? Why did Krakauer put this material here in the
middle of the book?
3. Why did Krakauer interrupt the McCandless story with Chapters 8 and 9?
4. Were you surprised that McCandless left trails so that the authorities could find out who he was?
5. What’s in a name? Does it matter that we have the name we were given by our parents? How do names matter? Does your name fit you? If not, what name would you choose? Why?